Olivia's Age

What's in a Name?

I realized after I posted my last blogging announcing the arrival of Olivia that I forgot to tell how we finally arrived at a name. Matt and I had been talking about potential baby names for a couple of years actually and never could agree on a single name. So when I got pregnant we suddenly had to get serious about names. Still we really didn't agree on any names... there were a few we each chose that the other "didn't hate". I had brought up the name Olivia at one point and it was one he "didn't hate", but at the time he wasn't in love with it either.
Our other issue was the middle name. Matt feels that a middle name should be a family surname. I don't have an issue with that, but feel that a family surname seems to fit better on a boy. How many girls do you hear with a family surname as a middle name? I don't know any. I really wanted to have Mae as a girl's middle name for many years. My maternal grandmother's name was Bettymae... I think that is a bad "old lady" name, but have always liked the "Mae" part of it. She passed away in 1996 and is the only grandparent of mine to have passed away. Shortly after she passed away I decided that someday I would love to have Mae as my daughter's middle name in her honor.
Finally in October I brought up Olivia again, and when I said it outloud with Mae, it sounded really nice together. We both suddenly thought that was really beautiful and felt right. We sat on it for a day or two, but decided officially on our 1st wedding anniversary to name our daughter Olivia Mae. We have been so excited at the response people have had to her name. I can't wait to tell Olivia all about her great-grandmother and what a very special person she was!

0 comments: